Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Did you say you were hungry? Intro to the Food of Thailand!




Thai cooking is a singular cuisine that is easily distinguished even from its nearest neighbors. Thai food is intertwined with all aspects of Thai culture. Since ancient times, dishes have been offered to the many gods and spirits that inhabited the Thai world of uncertainty. Today no celebration is complete without a meal, and the offering of food to monks is a sure way to obtain good luck and merit. Food offers more than nourishment alone; it is sustenance for the country and the soul.

To explore the cultural aspects of Thai food I took a cuisine class (a must when travelling to Thailand) where I made every traditional Thai dish possible and was then forced to eat every bit of this delicious food. My first blog in Thailand I posted about my fear of the cafeteria and the endless spicy food that left my mouth burning, eyes tearing and lips searing. I was uncomfortable with the food and longed for yummy American variety. It seemed there were two options in Thailand; Noodles or Rice. Rice or Noodles. every. time. But I've embraced it and have found my favorites, so many strong flavors! Now I add spice to my meal and can taste immediately if it needs sugar, spice or a pepper. Now I don't know what I'll eat when I get back to the US!

Here are some of our delicious meals!

Possibly my favorite! Tom Khaa Kai (Chicken in Coconut Milk)

My second favorite: Kaengbuadfak Thong (Pumpkin in Coconut Milk)

Very traditional-Khaawphad Kai (Chicken Fried Rice)

Preparing veggies!

Our grade depended on the final taste test by our professor!

No this is my favorite! Khaaw Soi ( Chiang Mai curried noodles)
 special dish of Northern Thailand, not found in the south

You've never had a mango until you've been to Thailand, the Mangos are AMAZING- Khaawniaw Ma Muang (Mango Sticky Rice)

They are ALL my favorite- Kai Phad Med Ma Muanghimmaphaan ( Stir Fried Chicken with Cashew Nuts)



No comments: