Wednesday, June 19, 2013

What You'll Learn Traveling Alone + Tips on Solo Travel

Traveling alone isn't always easy. 


If you're a beginner traveler, traveling alone probably sounds like your worst nightmare. You've seen too many movies like Taken and know that the best policy is to travel safe. And it is very important to travel with caution and safety, especially as a female in countries that have different views than what you're used to!

But are you traveling with friends because it's safe or because it's comfortable?

Because life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

I'm gonna let you in on a secret that some people will go their entire lives not knowing; you can travel alone and be safe. "Whhhaaaa??" you might ask, as your brain explodes from the awesomeness that I just told you. But it's very, very true. Some of my best memories were places when I hit the road alone to Santorini, GreeceLomma, Sweden and Mabul, Malaysia and I did it with me, myself and my backpack.

Oh the open road!

Being a woman I was always jealous of my guy friends who said they were backpacking Europe or Asia or somewhere. "No fair!" I said, "if I was a guy I could do that!" What I really meant was, "If I wasn't afraid I could do that!" I had to face the fear and learn along the way.


Traveling is great, it's amazing. 
You will learn so much about yourself.
But you don't really know who you are and what you can do until you've traveled alone.

It can be small, a trip just to a city close to where you are living or studying. It can be going a few days before your friends, some alone time until you eventually meet up with them. Or it can be long, its all up to you and how comfortable you feel.

Alone can be 'Just What the Doctor Ordered'!

Traveling can certainly take its toll on friendships and travel partners. So when you are getting irritated with "whats er name" book a side trip alone. Tell them you need alone time. Odds are they find you equally annoying!

Expect the best, be prepared for the worst, screw what others think & do your own thing!

Treat yourself to a little date! Dress up, pick a restaurant or book a spa day! Take your journal or book if you don't want to look like too much of a loser. Is there something you like that your friends don't? Order the white wine instead of red or ask the waiter whats good-odds are you'll make the friendly conversation you've been craving after a few hours to yourself and try something you wouldn't have!

Find clarity in being you! Our friends can define us so much, they can even be cruel when we try something we aren't "known" for. Traveling is about learning and sometimes that provokes change. Be who you want! No one is looking!

Be spontaneous! Really, what do you want to do? There's no checking with anyone else to decide the days' events. It's an early morning swim in Da Nang, Vietnam, it's a naked Sopranos marathon in Kota Kinablu, Malaysia, its joining a volcano tour in Santorini, Greece. It's yours.

You are never REALLY alone!

I would say I am most comfortable when I am alone reading or pretending to be dead, a recluse, really.

But when you travel alone you realize that travelers are everywhere! Book the dorm at the Hostel and watch yourself become like the popular girl on prom night. Read a book in the lobby or start up a conversation with the hostel workers, you won't be alone for long! Lone travelers have a sixth sense for their own, you'll quickly be asked to dinner with a group or activities to fill the next day. Even long-term travel partners are met this way. 

Ever notice you don't meet many new people when traveling with a pack? You'll find yourself approachable and open to meeting new people and having more experiences when you don't have friends clutching your arm!

You Might Break Down

Whether it's after an attempted post office quest in Prague or at a beach in Lomma, you will breakdown somewhere, sometime.

You'll break down because you'll realize that you've never done something like this before. When you have yourself to count on and sometimes no one else. It can be scary and overwhelming but that's O.K, that's why we travel. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

 You have accomplished what many many people haven't. You've been brave enough to be vulnerable. In the short term you'll cry, like me when my roommate found me on the dorm floor in bursts of tears and boogers sobbing after skyping my bank. Or my friend when she took a solo trip to Spain and sat alone on a bench on her birthday. But in the long term, this experience has unreal benefits.

You know what it's like to be vulnerable, you'll know what it's like to be alone and you'll know how to do it and won't be afraid of it! Moreover, you'll know what you want and who you are despite your friends.

When something bad happens you have three choices. You can either let it define you. Let it destroy you, or you can let it strengthen you.


But People Will Help

Whether it's crashing two motorbikes in one day or losing a credit card and being money less for a week, someone will help. I promise you. People who travel are often the nicest people when emergencies arise. They know what it's like to have shit happen and they jump when they see someone in a similar situation.

The kindest acts I've seen have been when I am abroad. From people who know what its like to struggle in a new environment and be scared of the unknown.
It's not a big bad cruel world, see for yourself!


and You Will Be Stronger Than Ever

We all have those friends, maybe we were these people, the ones that can't seem to do anything by themselves. Can't find peace in silence? Shutter when they have to do something by themselves or talk to someone they don't know? Not open to new experiences unless they have someone next to them?

When you travel alone you'll realize that speaking up is not the scariest thing in the world, that taking selfies is no longer embarrassing, that you can navigate a city on your own, you know who you are and you can tackle anything, anytime.You will no longer fear the unknown, you'll embrace it. It's an adventure, defined by you!


Tips for Solo Travel:

1. Know where you are
Sounds pretty simple right? But seriously! Check blogs and websites that talk about the safety of the area for lone travelers. Is there some part of town you should steer clear of at night? Look that up and change your dinner plans. Important, let someone else know where you are and check in with them every other day or week.

2. Safety is more important than money
We are budget travelers but I draw the line at my safety. Yeah, I could save money if I walked the 25 minute walk to the hostel but if I don't feel safe I'll just take the taxi. If you need to stay in a nicer place in a better part of town. Feeling safe is worth the extra dollar. 

3. Put yourself out there
Go for the dorm room, sign up for a free tour or a guided excursion you will meet people that way! Check couchsurfing.com or expat blogs for local events. Especially around holidays when no one should be alone! It's easy to make friends when you are experiencing new things. Try diving or sign up for a kitesurfing course, the instructors and other travelers are easy to engage!

"If you are not willing to look stupid, nothing great is ever going to happen to you." 


Don't trust me? 
Follow solo female travel enthusiasts like Adventurous Kate, she knows what's up.

2 comments:

KC said...

Hi,

My name is KC Owens; I’m a college student who loves to travel! While cruising the Internet, I found your site and really enjoyed reading your posts. Personally, I think traveling is a necessary part of life as you’re exposed to all sorts of new cultures and experiences. While enjoying time abroad, I've found it's crucial to fully understand the dangers that you might encounter along the way. These mishaps are part of life and certainly part of travel but it’s always a great idea to take preventive measures to help ensure your safety while abroad.

I was hoping that you would allow me to write a post for your site to share my travel safety tips with your readers? I put a lot of time and passion into my traveling and I would love to help others by offering safety advice as a result of the mistakes and triumphs I've had. I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

KC Owens

Travel Tips said...

Solo travel tips for women who wish to visit new destinations but need to go it alone. Solo travel does not have to be scary or boring. With a little planning, you can have the adventure of your life!

Travel Tips