Thursday, January 5, 2012

How does a girl prepare for such an adventure!?

Innocents not just travelling but living in a foreign country!

I have had the opportunity to travel throughout Europe and in Spain and by now I know a fair amount about how to prepare for travelling. But how do I prepare for a trip where I will be living in a foreign country and travelling in my free time? Of course I want to pack light but I want to live comfortably not out of a backpack for five months? Specially in the cold weather in Prague!
At this point I am about a month away from my trip. So I should update my audience with how I got here-planning a 5 month trip. I've always wanted to do a study abroad and knew I was going I just didn't know where and I didn't know when. After my last trip to Spain, my eyes were opened; I was more excepting to different ways of life and a part of me was lost with my new realizations of the difference between what my life was like and what I wanted my life to be like. I ended a long-term relationship and changed my life plan. I was happy I was making changes but still the American way of life seemed to be suffocating me. I felt like I needed a big change, a big experience to jump start my understanding of what I really want out of life! I chose to do it soon, that next semester and I chose Prague because I'd never been there, I heard its amazing and because before I left for Spain I knew my next trip would be to Eastern Europe. A giant bonus is that all my courses in Prague are transferable-meaning they all go towards my degree and I won't be behind in my major (International Business).
I am doing this study abroad through a program at my home university, University of Nevada, Reno. It's called USAC and I am so glad I have a resource like this. They are awesome! I feel like I have my own army behind me ready to solve my problems and squash my fears. It's so nice to travel knowing you're safe.
I also have already bought my airline ticket through the cheapest airline site I could find- cheapfares.com. It was a little sketchy because the airline doesn't take credit/debit cards. Only cash which required a money transfer. I had to get a new passport because mine would expire while I was abroad. I also applied for my first visa-its gorgeous in my passport; makes me feel so accomplished! My schedule is worked out and like I said I get credit for all my classes meaning my scholarship would help me pay! Yay! Right now I am still getting things situated. Christmas is coming up so I gave my long-list of needs to my parents hoping they feel sorry for a poor college student looking to find her way in the world :]. I still need to get registered with the state department (in case something bad happens in Czech Republic my parents will be notified), I need to change banks so I don't get those nasty charges for foreign fees, I need to put a packing list together and make a binder (usb drive?) of important files. I am still looking at plans for spring break, I have my heart set on Egypt but am fearful of the turmoil in the country. So I will see, other plans include Venice for Carnival, a trip after my program and weekend trips around Eastern Europe included a trip to Bremen, Germany where I have a friend! It's all still up in the air; plus money is an issue-I am planning a trip to Thailand in Spring 2013 with my best friend, Amanda so I want to keep a little in the bank for that!
I am still preparing for the trip but want to capture the whole experience by blogging regularly-even though I haven't left yet!
Thanks for reading!

No comments: