Monday, March 26, 2012

I Left my Heart in Santorini

"On Santorini there are more donkeys than inhabitants, more churches than houses, more wine than water."

After some negative group dynamics that are bound to occur with 10 days of travel with a group of determined girls I decided to leave my friends in Athens and venture to an island that I had only dreamed about, Santorini. I have never really traveled on my own. Coming to Prague I was met with new friends and a schedule all planned and on the weekends I travel with friends so although this semester was by myself I really haven't been alone in my adventures. Going to Santorini turned out to be my best decision I think I have ever made-travel related. I knew I wanted to go to the islands but was worried that the off season would cancel many of my plans. I intended to go to Santorini for two days and then ferry to Mykonos. Although I am sure Mykonos is beautiful, I fell in love with Santorini and canceled my plans to leave the island. I stayed five days and four nights in paradise.

I stayed in Karterados which is a small area on the island. The first day I made my way through Fira (the main town) and down the winding path to the old pier where I took a tour of the volcano and hot springs. You don't have to go far to find beauty in Santorini, it was outside my window and in walking. The volcano was cool to see and the hot springs were a fun break but I'd be content in Santorini if I never left the main Island of Thira. I found a great restaurant where I met the local owners and drank wine with the family. Everyone is so nice in Santorini; it is a small-town culture that orients around family business and tradition, needless to say, they made me feel at home.

The next day I rented an ATV and a broken flower pot and two dead batteries later I was off exploring the Lighthouse and the Red Beach as well as Perissa and the windmills. On my way back to from the store I saw a group of tourists that looked utterly lost and confused, "Hey! I know them". I realized that some of my Prague mates had made their way to Santorini! I pulled up next to them on my ATV smiling, what a small island after all. I took them to dinner and we talked about the weeks' activities. Plus more wine.

The next day I explored the other side of the island, Oia and the dock where Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants was filmed (in my defense, I didn't know that until after I saw the dock)! I stopped at the side of a cliff following signs for some beach down below. I parked the quad and made my way down to my own little corner of the world. I beached (a verb: meaning you sit on your butt all day and read on the beach) until the sun went down. I returned, trying not to smile too wide so the bugs don't get in my mouth while I drive! I met my friends again for dinner and some bar hopping where we met up with some locals and a group of touring Americans. What a glorious night!

In the morning I was very sad because I knew it was my last day there. I felt like people search for happiness all their lives and at the age of 20 I had found it, on a Greek Island during off season all by myself! I drove to the beach and skipped some rocks and then headed to the best view in the world, the Caldera. I said goodbye to the island but promised I'd be back. I truly feel that this may have been my best trip I have ever done and it was alone and on my own initiative. I am very proud of myself for doing something I used to be afraid to do. I have accomplished so much and feel like I am really becoming the person I've always wanted to be! I have left a piece of my heart in Santorini.




Boats docked by the volcano

My ATV and I :]


The incredible Red Beach

the Lighthouse




My little beach

View from Caldera





3 comments:

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Wow...OK, I'm ready to head to Santorini!!!
This is an amazing adventure and amazing post my friend, you make it sound as if one could reach out and touch this island paradise just in the story!
Well done and I imagine you looked pretty darn cute on that ATV!
Have fun and be safe!
Terry

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place. Love the post! As always.
I would definitely be willing to go with you when you go back!
You look darling and SO happy in that last picture!!

Love you!
Mom

Kerri said...

Hi Donielle! Loved your post on Santorini. Thanks for the great tales and wonderful pics so we can 'be' there with you. Love you, Aunt Kerri