Thursday, April 5, 2012

Cesky Krumlov: A charming town with a lot to see

This Week's Travels: Cesky Krumlov

It has gotten a little hard to write because I have been so busy. It seems as though a month has past since my trip to Santorini although it was only two weeks ago. Time goes by so fast, I am lost at the helm of this adventure boat uncontrollably riding the waves of time and it seems I've lost my anchor. I am so happy to have experienced everything that I have in this beautiful semester but I have a sad air around me that forces the knowledge that soon it will end. Perhaps, it is this rainy Prague weather that gets me down but this week I've had to acknowledge that this paradise doesn't last-that its temporary and soon will come to a close. I am trying to be positive though and focusing on the time I have left, I still have so much to look forward to!

This past week I traveled to Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic, Vienna, Austria, Budapest, Hungary and Bratislava, Slovakia. I want to post on each one separately so Cesky Krumlov will be the first. 

Maybe it is because I am a hometown girl growing up and living in my little corner of the world in Reno, NV but I have always loved small towns. Cesky Krumlov reminded me of Brugge, Belgium, one of my favorite places in the world. Cesky Krumlov is located in the southern bohemian region of the Czech Republic and features the incredible Cesky Krumlov Castle. I have seen many castles but this one is among (if not tops) my favorites list. It centered above the city and features some incredible art (like most castles). What I liked about it was that is wasn't over the top like Versailles but it has an incredible uniqueness to it. These are the things that lead me to that conclusion;  1. walking up to the castle there used to be a moat that surround the castle walls, at some point in the history of the town they decided to do away with the moat and bring in live bears that were the Habsburgs' (you remember this family from history books right?) symbol. They were to symbolize the power of the Habsburg Family who resided in the castle for a while. Since then the bears have been continually brought in and bred. Everybody loves bears and this castle has three! 2. There are many old tales and ghost stories (you know how I love a good ghost story) connected to the castle as well. My favorite one was about the The White Lady von Rosenberg

Perchta von Rosenberg, known as the White Lady, lived in the Český Krumlov castle in the 15th century. Her father, Ulrich II. von Rosenberg married her off against her will and without love to the Moravian lord Johann von Lichtenstein who was cruel to Perchta all her life. When Johann was dying he had Perchta called in and asked her for forgiveness. She refused, and her husband cursed her. Since then, the soul of the White Lady von Rosenberg has had to roam the Rosenberg castles and tends to appear before significant events. White gloves on her hand bear good tidings, whereas black gloves are a sign of impending disaster. 

I liked this because I had always heard references to the "White Lady" but never knew where it came from. Now I know-and so do you!

3. The other part of this castle that was surprising was the Masquerade Hall where the painter Josef Lederer painted an incredible illusion around the walls that features life-like characters full with costumes and expressions. It is said that a servant noticed a string of pearls slipping from a lady's neck during a party. The servant wanted to keep the pearls, but the two painted Guards emerged from the wall and prevented him from carrying out his petty crime. The frightened servant returned the jewels and remained a good man till the end of his days. The hall is truly beautiful and serves as a humorous break from the renaissance period interiors around castles in Europe. The Hall is completely original and other than a cleaning has never been touched. The Hall is still used today for concerts and other cultural events. 

It is a beautiful charming town with clean air, I am thinking about making another day trip here when my sister comes to visit me, I can't get enough!

Town Square




This little town has a great art scene

Friends and I at the brewery we went to for dinner-delicious!





No comments: