Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Songkran Festival: Four Day Citywide Water Fight!


Boys of Songkran
Photo by Ashley Vega




I pick up my gun and start running. Drenched in water I hear every squish of my shoes as they splash in the bubbly water below me. I swerve around the herds of people that stand in every square inch of Chiang Mai's Old City moat. I hear screaming and laughing but must keep jogging, no time to look back. I am out of ammo. I am a sitting duck, an open target. I see it. The large bin of water where I can seek refuge and refill my Avengers themed squirt gun, a long-range 5000 model I call, "you need to start running". I dodge the cars and duck behind carts selling sweet corn and cold drinks, water guns and buckets. I reach the container and let out an incredible sigh of relief as a take off my pack and start twisting the cap. Suddenly, an ice cold flow of water streams down the top of my head, down my neck and shoulders and to my bare ankles. I hear myself gasp in anguish. I turn to see a group of Thai teenagers with empty buckets, snickering with wide grins at my demise. "Sawati pi mi krop!" they say, "Happy New Year!" I return the well wishes will a sigh of defeat and begin filling my pack, being careful to watch which direction they walk. This is WAR and VENGEANCE is mine!!!


The Crowds of Songkran
Photo Credit Fou Linh Saechao

Songkran in Old City Chiang Mai
Photo Credit Fou Linh Saechao
Songkran Festival is the most unique cultural celebration I have ever seen. It is Thai New Year (it's the year 2556 in Thailand) and for four days the city explodes into a water fight unlike any thing you've ever seen. No one is off-limits. The old, the young, the motorcyclists, people in taxis, people on the street, people with water guns, people without water guns and the people trying their hardest to run away and not get hit. ESPECIALLY the people trying to not get hit, they are the MOST fun to attack.

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO WIN A WATER FIGHT:

Prepare a STAKE OUT OPERATION where you stand by the side of the road and wait for motorcyclists to pass at which point you burst out from the bushes and spray them with your water guns!
FACE SHOT= 30 points with ICE WATER = 60
IF THEY HIT ANOTHER VEHICLE
BECAUSE YOU SHOT THEM IN THE FACE= TRIPLE POINTS!
These kids know what they are doing!

Photo Credit: Fou Linh Saechao

Make friends with someone who has a truck. Ride around in the truck with lots of tall people and many buckets of ammo and guns. SHOOT EVERYONE AROUND YOU.
Including your own team if they get lazy!!!
 PEOPLE WHO AREN'T LOOKING = 40 Points
ICE COLD WATER = 80 Points
The ways of a good fighter allow for some breaks with friends.
BUT DO NOT LOOSE SIGHT OF THE GOAL.
 YOU ARE A KILLING MACHINE!!
The Farang Dance
Photo Credit: Fou Linh Saechao
Act like you are dancing and then suddenly shoot everyone around you!
DON'T FORGET TO STOP DANCING AND SHOOT EVERYONE AROUND YOU!
WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS PUSH YOUR FRIENDS INTO THE MOAT.
LOSERS
WINNERS
Into Battle
Photo Credit Natalie Ferri
Most importantly, ACT LIKE YOU ARE WINNING BY WALKING AWAY LIKE A BOSS

Of course if you lose you can always say you weren't trying to win, in that winey know-it-all voice, and say you were there to experience the cultural side of Songkran. Here are some notes:


Thai Dancers
Photo Credit: Fou Linh Saechao


The tradition of Songkran traces back to the pre-Buddist rituals of spring festivals where the throwing of water was meant as a symbol of luck to bring good rain for the crops. It was later converted to the religious custom of cleansing the statues of Buddha once a year. In many places there are parades with the statues of Buddha and as the parades pass, crowds shower the Buddha with water.

The festival lasts for 4 days. 
Day 1: Maha Songkran Day is the first day of the celebrations which marks the end of the old year. Day 2: April 14, Wan Nao is the day between the ending of the old year and the beginning of the new year when foods are prepared for the temples. 
Day 3: April 15, is Wan Thaloeng Sok - the day on which the New Year begins 
Day 4: On the last day, Wan Parg-bpee, the ancestors and elders are honored. 
Water fights are held citywide every day except Day 4, respect your elders kids!

Foam parties are cultural, right?? We met new Thai friends, that counts.

Watched a giant wet Thai concert where we pretended to sing along....in Thai. I'd say we really participated.
Don't worry there is time to experience all the cultural oddities that fill Songkran, enjoy the shenanigans and kick some ass at water fighting!!!

For more info on this awesome holiday my friends made a video:



by Fou Saechao


Video by Ashley Vega

&



Video by Natalie Ferri

Photo Credits to Ashley Vega, Natalie Ferri and Fou Linh Saechao

No comments: