Friday, June 24, 2011

Fireworks & Las Farias

Day 10

Spaniards and their non-stop fiestas. Will I last?

We didn’t wake up until 5 o’ clock so the day was pretty much shot. We watched shows in Spanish and just hung out. Javier was pretty sick. Spaniards drink very differently than Americans. They don’t do shots here, they are really slow drinkers too. They drink a lot but over a long period of time, where Americans try to get as drunk as possible as quickly as possible-just a difference I have noticed. Paula, Javier’s girlfriend, invited us all to dinner at her house. They were doing fireworks that night and she lives not two blocks away. We walked to her house-really fast because none of us had eaten all day. This apartment was incredible-top floor-you could see have the city from the balcony. We had pizza, patatas, chorizo and jamon. I also ate pigs tongue!! They told us to try it but wouldn’t tell us what it was-Ian and Nayla had their suspicions but I didn’t understand what was going on I only understood that they wanted us to try it. I was really good but and I ate it but regretted it a little when they told me what it was. Ugh! Happy I tried something new though :] The fireworks were gorgeous, I don’t think I’ve ever had a view so good! There were these spiral ones that were really pretty. There was also one that made a big number 8 in the sky. After dinner we cleaned up and watched wedding crashers-in Spanish of course (not as funny). I was feeling not myself at all that night- maybe its cause I didn’t do anything that day but this partying every night is really causing some stress. After the movie we went to the Farias (fair) which is just a section of the city where they have some rides and games, like the Rodeo in Reno, Nevada. We went on this one ride called the grasshopper, it was fun. The best was the Caballo (horse). There are three “horses” that have long bodies of that cushiony bouncy stuff. You basically climb on and hold on. The horses go up and down and side to side trying to push you off. I was in the very back and was laughing the hardest I have in a really long time. Because I was in the back I could see everyone! You know how I love it when people fall but this was ten times better. I told you how everyone is really short-their tiny legs can’t reach the ground so when the horse would go to the right I would stick out my legs to support myself but they can’t reach the ground so they would just fall! Then they would try to get back on while its moving and they would just fall again. There were like 10 people on the ground all around me, it was really really fun. After we did the bumper cars but it took me like five minutes to figure out how to get out of reverse so it wasn’t much fun. We went on the grasshopper again and after Nayla and I really didn’t feel good. I think we ate too much candy-everyone is getting drunk and throwing up but we're getting sick from candy? -wow what glorious preschoolers we are lol. We walked back to the city and hung out for a while when it started to rain. I told you how Spaniards are in the rain-everyone scattered-it wasn’t even bad at first. People were hiding under the stage and inbetween doors. Nayla and I just danced in it while everyone watched. We got some candy and just walked around and then danced again. Somebody threw ice at me and missed (twice) and after that I stopped dancing, I don’t want ice thrown at me. While everyone was hiding we found the pena, they were dancing too and had their marching band. We danced with them while they dropped of the band at their hostal, it took a while though because we kept doing oncores. I don’t know how but the drunken boys had gotten a hold of a wheelbarrel and started acting like it was a bull. They picked the drunkest guy to run behind it and chase after all the others. Nayla’s friend got flattened and then this other guy got hit hard. It started to really rain though, hard and uncomfortable. I had to pee and had nowhere to go. At around 5:30am I asked Ian to take me home. I took a warm shower and headed to bed. Nayla didn’t get home til 8:30am and Ian and Jim got home at 12 in the afternoon. Oh my goodness, these fiestas are definately built for Spanish locals not American tourists (not that I would have it any other way!) but I am dying!
8004.jpg079.jpg082.jpg095.jpg103.jpg109.jpg1249.jpg2251.jpg597.jpg604.jpg

No comments: