Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Las Fiestas de San Juanes in Soria, Spain

Day 7 1/2? I lost count...

First day of Las Fiestas de San Juanes!

Today we woke up at 1 and had some hot chocolate milk for breakfast. Jim, Nayla, Ian and I played fronton after for a good two hours- my shoulders got sunburned really badly :[. We came back to the house and enjoyed lunch pasta, patatas, bread and salad. I took a shower because I was pretty sweaty after fronton, I am not very good but we played teams so I actually had a chance. No one really cared if you messed up and Jim is worse than I am so that makes me feel good lol. After my shower I took a nap and slept for a good two or three hours. We will need our rest for the fiestas! I woke up and finally finished my peto, the girls came over and signed Nayla’s and mine. We made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner. Camino tried it because she’s only seen them made in movies-she liked it. The boys left because their pina has to get there early because they are in the parade. Nayla says we are leaving around 10. I tried last night and this morning but the internet still isn’t working. The storm last night must have messed things up-it’s not even seeing the network. Ian tried to help but couldn’t get it. We left at ten for Soria, Nayla and I look so good in our petos. We parked and made our way to the main plaza, there are fireworks (not really good ones just lights that go up but don’t explode) and someone important makes a speech about San Juan (the person we are celebrating) from a balcony. Everyone is cheering and the streets are full of smiling faces. Another thing is that the fiestas are very family oriented. There are many children and families as well as old people that come to see the crowd. Its amazing how everyone here is very open to drinking. It’s accepted by everyone no matter the age. Its pretty encouraged actually even the person making the speech declared that we should all get drunk. I like it that way- its better than acting like its some giant secret. The song following-instead of like an anthem or something of significance was called alcohol. We then made our way down to the end of the plaza so we could see the parade of penas as they come by. Ian’s was last and Aldovor (one of Nayla’s cousins) was nice enough squirt us some wine as they walked by. Next all the penas go to their own bars and groups like us (wearing petos ect.) go to the park to meet up and start drinking. The park is pretty open but is surrounded by trees. Here people pee or makeout. Everyone pees in the streets during San Juan, guys will go just a little of the main path but girls usually find a more secretive spot-I peed by a hedge and got my butt scratched by a branch lol. The park was covered with empty bottles of calimocho, I started kicking the plastic around only to find that one was glass-my foot really hurt!! we played a fun game where you sit in a circle someone says a number then the next says an animal and the next makes the animal sound then you keep going around and whoever messes up has to drink. The girls in our group our mostly Lowda’s friends so they are new to both Nayla and I. Most of them are 3-4 years younger than me but they are very nice. Bella is my favorite, she is really sweet and likes to practice English. There are three stages set up in different parts of the city, the first one we went to was playing American rock music ( queen & elvis) it was crap to dance to but Nayla and I were pretty hyper because of the excitement of the fiestas, we were dancing crazy and it was really fun. Boys and girls in Spain don’t dance. I love dancing, it’s my favorite thing about parties. Their idea of dancing is making a circle and then shifting their feet forward and backward. They sing along to the song but I don’t know it so it’s ten times worse. At first I just thought it was Nayla’s friends but it’s everybody. They stand in the middle close to the stage and then they talk, why are you near the stage if you want to talk? The next one we went to had great music and lots of people we got in the center and it was the perfect place. The girls got mad because there wasn’t enough room to make a goddamn circle for them to shift their feet around so we left. When it was time to leave I was relieved.
003.jpg

No comments: