Friday, January 6, 2012

Background info...

3 1/2 Weeks in Spain!

this is not your normal blog...

Things you should know before reading:
While I was in Spain I never thought of putting my experiences together in a blog but I can't honestly say these entries were entirely for myself. I kept these logs of my day to day activities for my long-time boyfriend to feel a little more comfortable about my safety and overseas adventures. These entries are written for him and I like that I kept entries of my feelings and findings while abroad. You'll find these entries to be real-life experiences not dolled up for an audience or censored for anyone. However, due to that you may find them lacking in the usual literary fluffing that is generally excepted.

I traveled with my Aunt Kerri who is a fluent Spanish speaker and lived in Madrid for several years and her husband, my Uncle Cesar who is a native of Spain from the small town of Abejar, where they are their three kids travel every summer. My eldest cousin Alec who is fluent in Spanish now works internationally and was not able to make the trip with us. However, my cousins Ian and Nayla really introduced me into this culture and the unique and prideful country that is Spain.
During this trip I toured nearby cities and participated in the week-long celebration of Las Fiestas de San Juan in the nearby town of Soria, Spain. Afterward my cousins and I traveled to Burgos, Bilboa, San Sebastian and Madrid before heading home. There is still a lot of Spain that I want to see including Barcelona, Seville and Cordoba.
I have taken Spanish language and culture classes since middle school, unfortunately I cannot say that this trip greatly improved my language skills-its too easy when you have english speaking guides! But I learned a lot about the culture first hand and cherish the experiences I had this summer.
Thank you for reading, I hope it inspires you to visit Spain for yourself, it truly is a beautiful country and the most welcoming one I have ever been to!
I plan to really catch in detail my next adventure in Czech Republic in January of 2013 please keep reading!

No comments: