Friday, January 6, 2012

Embracing doing Nothing

Day 13

Doing nothing-and that is O.K. in the Spanish culture!

Today I’ve been sleeping. I woke up at noon ate and then went back to sleep until lunch. We had to clean some because Aunt Mary and Uncle Kurt just landed in Madrid. Ian wants to leave Thursday for Bilboa, but we haven’t figured out anything, we’ll probably do that today or tomorrow. I ran out of clean underwear, I could put them in the washer but that would mean everyone would see them on the line outside, I washed them in the sink and put them on a towel outside the window lol. Which will be quite a spectacle considering the back window is at street level haha. Aunt Mary and Uncle Kurt finally arrived and we had a feast of chorizo and jamon, bread wine ect. It is so weird to be doing nothing. In American culture if you are doing nothing you're lazy or depressed, never is it ok to be doing nothing. Here it is perfectly normal to be sleeping, sitting, watching tv or staring into space. No one cares that you're doing nothing. I love it, American culture is too fast and too busy sometimes where everyone gets ulcers at 16 and dies of heart attacks from stress. Its never ok to just be. It make me want to slow down my own life at home and stop to appreciate things before stressing about the next thing- that's no way to live.
516.jpg

No comments: