Friday, January 6, 2012

Oh this new world!

Day 2

Learning the ropes.

Today we woke up at 4:00pm but it’s ok because we went to bed at 4:00am! It is so dark in the room that I can never tell what time it is, WHICH I LOVE! Nayla and I blamed it on the gallo (rooster) who seems to cock-a-doodle-doo at every hour-isn’t he suppose to just do that at dawn? See, he messed up our whole day. We had such an amazing day today and I really got to practice my Spanish. It’s amazing the change in Uncle Cesar when he is in his home country I can really see how priceless these trips are for him and Aunt Kerri. He is always smiling and laughing which I haven’t seen him do often in America, it must have been so hard for him to leave his home. For lunch we had soup with lomo and salad, again a marvelous meal. After, Nayla and I watched some Bob Esponja (Sponge bob) it was so funny to see in Spanish. We got ready for the day and Cesar and Kerri had many house calls from people they knew including Cesar’s best friend. It’s amazing to see the size difference here-not just the cars and the houses but the people too-very short, all the girls are shorter and Nayla and I really stand out, although I am glad Nayla is taller than me. We bought bread for dinner from the market down the street and walked around town. Then we walked to Camino’s house (Nayla’s friend) and talked with her plus her mom and dad. They are very nice and I just listen because I don’t understand!! We stayed there for a long time but after we met up with some of the other girls; Laura (pronounced Lowda) she is really nice and talked to me for a long time in Spanish, I got more comfortable and entered phrases here and there in the conversation with the other girls. Irene (pronounced Idene), who was also really nice-she talked to me one-on-one and I really felt comfortable with her. Sara, she’s nice too but I didn’t really get to talk to her. We met up with some boys that they knew; Sergio, Ruben, Jose y Alvador. I was pretty much left out of the conversation. We went to someone’s garage (it had a kitchen in it…weird, huh?). We ate hamburgers for dinner and calimochos (wine and coke-very good). The boys left and I felt a lot more comfortable and the girls engaged me in the conversation. I became very talkative after a few drinks and the girls wrote down Spanish phrases (most of them were inappropriate but some very useful). We laughed a lot!! Overall, it was a very fun night and I was amazed at how much Spanish I was able to speak. Nayla says my accent is even getting better! Today was the longest day of the year so it was custom for everyone to catch up. Most of the friends were from Soria so they went home. Nayla and I talked when we got home but were pretty much exhausted as well! I am very excited for the next few weeks. I am so grateful to have this opportunity!

No comments: