Thursday, January 26, 2012

Old Town Square


I had to create a separate post for a place I have now deemed one of my favorite places in the world. Perhaps the reason why I love this place is because of the way I found it. With the internet I feel like a lot of places have lost their mystery, as sad as it is to say this happened to me with the Eiffel Tower in Paris. When I first saw it I thought it was beautiful but it looked familiar. I’d seen it so many times in movies, pictures and on the internet that I felt like I’d already been there! I had to keep kicking myself-whispering quietly, “Donielle it’s the (expletive) Eiffel Tower, you should be freaking out!” But I just couldn’t get excited-I’d already seen it.

The way I encountered this particular sight was very unique for me. Usually when I visit a place I do tons of research, looking at pictures, discovering where I want to go and what I need to see. On this trip I did not do that. I could go into explaining why I didn’t but what it comes down to is nothing told me I should. I never got the urge to look anything up-I honestly didn’t know what there was to see in Prague but knew that I had to go. Call it faith but I just knew I would want to see everything here, whatever it was and I didn’t need to research in order to prove that to myself.

We had just come out of our first dinner on my initial arrival. I had made a friend, Helena, on the flight and we walked together mostly because we hadn’t met anyone else. We were talking about culture and what we had for dinner. I was just following the group watching myself so I would't slip on the cobblestones. I pointed to the sky and took a picture of a tower that was incredibly detailed, it was only peaking out of buildings and I didn’t think much of it. I when back to talking and laughing. However, when I turned around the corner it felt like a thunderbolt had hit me. Helena and I turned silent as our minds raced across our surroundings. Eyes wide open, we slowly turned  around and started walking slowly backwards looking at what had been behind us as we walked through the tiny passageway. The world slowed, “Incredible,” my heart whispered.

The difference between pictures and seeing it yourself is that single moment when you discover it. The moment when your eyes wonder across something that is entirely unique, completely unknown; to the point where your brain can’t recognize and compare what it is you’re looking at. The little gears inside your tummy start to slow down and click only faintly. Your mouth drops because your muscles have lost control and your lungs collapse because you un-noticeably have stopped breathing. But what’s most important is what happens to your heart in this moment. Your heart suddenly pounds in excitement, fear, awe, wonder, and love all at the same. I believe the explosion of these emotions will literally cause your heart to grow and in this moment you know that nothing will ever look, taste, smell, feel or hear the same ever again. Your life has changed forever in this single moment of setting your eyes and heart on such a magnificent creation. This is what happened to my heart when I walked into Old Town Square. My fist-sized heart pumped and grew in its little shelter of a cavity as I saw the beauty that was all around.

Old Town Square is a huge square that is completely unique in that it is home to four incredible architectural beauties as well as a large sculpture, complete with European streetlights, colored buildings and cobblestones. The Old Town Square is home to Old Town Hall Tower & Astronomical Clock, the Church of Our Lady before Tyn and St. Nicholas Church as well as the Jan Hus statue. Everywhere your head turns there is a new beauty for your eyes and heart to discover. Your tired little eyes can’t decide where you should look next! This square is dated in the 12th century and over the centuries buildings of Romanesque, Baroque and Gothic styles were erected around the market, each bringing with them their own unique style that completes the amazement of the square. The dramatic nature of the buildings around makes you feel small and large at the same time. An incredible realization of the history, architecture and all around beauty that humans are capable of makes your heart, truly, grow.

I encourage everyone to visit this place or any place that your heart tells you to go so you can stumble onto beauties like this!

Nashledanou!














No comments: