Monday, January 23, 2012

Important Tip: Mothers & Lost Luggage


In this tip I am going against my own generation and our duty as young adults to ignore our mothers on any advice they give us that we didn’t ask for. Kids are known for their ability to simplify the cords of a mother’s voice so it slides through one ear canal and out the other. We are proud of this ability and yet in this moment and you didn’t hear it from me-I was glad I listened to my mother (gasping teenagers in the background). YES! I SAID IT! MY MOTHER WAS RIGHT!

Call it mother’s intuition but if I had not carried extra clothing in  my carryon I would have been a very unhappy camper. Luckily, I packed more than two weeks worth of clothing in my backpack and carry-on (mostly by mistake; my checked bag was over 50lbs so I had to empty it and put some of my belongings in my other bags). My mother urged me to pack essential items in my carry-ons just in case the airport lost my luggage. And behold, I did indeed lose my luggage and spent 3 days and 2 nights with no luggage. If I hadn’t packed essentials it would have been hell. This tip; mom is sometimes right and pack things in your carry on; lost luggage is more common than you think.

In addition, make sure you have plenty of luggage tags and have written down your abroad address so the airline sends your luggage to you and not back to your home country!

No comments: