Friday, January 6, 2012

Extended Family, Petos and Party OH MY!

Day 4
Language troubles!

I woke up around 11, got some breakfast and helped Kerri clean a little because family was coming to the house. Nayla and I got our petos ready for the fiestas, they are a bright green (not neon but bright) color and look like cotton overalls. I expected them to be much less flattering but I think they are kind of cute. All the girls decorate theirs in different ways Nayla and I traced bulls all over them and are going to paint them black, I am still coming up with ideas but I was thinking I’d put USA le encanta (loves) Soria, but I am not sure yet. We sat out on the patio when family arrived, Ian came with them. We had a really good drink its martini mix with sprite and I enjoyed a glass. Tio Rodolpho (Cesar oldest brother) was so nice; he told me I was beautiful a thousand times and actually talked to me-he is the only adult I’ve met that knows I am trying to speak Spanish and asks me questions, not my aunt or Nayla, but me. It was nice having Ian because I spoke English with him. We had a great meal lamb, chorizo, bacon, crawdads, asparagus and salad, bread and cheesecake. I pretty much just sat there because there were too many people to understand anything or I would talk to Ian and Nayla in English. Rodolpho, ate the tail of the lamb-just nawed on it like corn! After lunch Nayla and I went to the pool with Camino and Lowda, we met up with some of their other friends, I went in the pool once but mostly just read my book and worked on my tan (which didn’t work!). It was fun but I felt left out even more, the girls would just talk and talk, Nayla translated sometimes but I mostly just looked at the person talking and after not being able to understand just thought of other things. We played volleyball, Spanish girls aren't very good or just don't care about sports-at least out of all of Nayla’s friends I was like the best one at volleyball and at soccer when we played-sad considering I suck at both those ha! Then I was silently attacked by mosquitos- I have bites everywhere and there is no anti-itch cream anywhere to be found. When we came home I checked my computer and uploaded my pictures. When I got so frustrated about the internet I took a nap (maybe 20 minutes) and cried a little from being so homesick. That's the culture shock kicking in so don't feel sorry, it will be over soon. Kerri made soup and salad for dinner and I felt a lot better, but I still didn’t want to go out with Nayla’s friends that night knowing I’d be left out the entire time. Nayla and them left and Ian and I started cleaning up the kitchen, Ian got a call from his other cousin who was with Nayla and said she wanted to see him. He wanted me to go with him but I said no because I always get left out, he said he gets left out too and that he’d buy me a drink. I felt better and knew sobbing in bed wouldn’t help my mood. When we got to the hotel I was totally left out. They just sit around a big table with drinks and talk, which I am sure they enjoy but I don’t. I basically sat at looked at the stars for an hour, I didn’t drink. The bar closed and they wanted to go to a different bar, I didn’t want to but Ian had a friend who was going to meet us there and he hadn’t seen him in a long time (ian didn’t go to spain the last two years), I don’t know how to get home and didn’t want to go alone so I went thinking it would only be a while. Then we sat at that bar and I got left out. I was complaining but then Ian gave me a shoulder massage if I promised to stay and shut up. At three they wanted to go to another bar and I said hell no, but again no one would take me home. I told Ian he owed me two drinks now and another massage, jerk. We went to a nearby town and went to a bar there. I got a drink-malibu con pina-it’s a little rum with pinapple juice, it was really good! We played phosball and I started having fun. The girls drank and they started speaking in English with me which was very nice. I had a really light girly beer (and looked like an idot when I asked for ice-I didn’t know you weren’t suppose to have beer with ice!!) then ian and I did a shot of this weird Nariz tequila that tasted like black liqorice- Ian thought it was gross and I hate black licorice but I liked it because it was sweet. We then just talked and laughed. We all got really tired but the boys were assholes and wouldn’t take us home because they were still talking. Nayla finally stole the keys and convinced them to leave. On the road back to Abejar they kept trying to hit deer-like they would see one and purposely sped up. I got so mad, what gilipollas (assholes)! I finally got home and crashed.
038.jpg040.jpg042.jpg043.jpg044.jpg045.jpg046.jpg048.jpg053.jpg056.jpg057.jpg064.jpg

No comments: